Zucchini boats are fun to eat and make for a nice evening meal. Shop our farm stand vendors for your veggies and Pastured Perfect and Farmer Nick’s for the sausage. The Cheese People have a great selection of cheese for this dish and don’t forget the wine from Glunz Family Winery.
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet loose Italian sausage
- 8 ounces hot loose Italian sausage
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shaved
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, so they resemble boats. Place the zucchini boats in a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside
- In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and let heat through. Add the sweet and the hot Italian sausage, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the Parmesan, mozzarella, breadcrumbs, and parsley; mix to combine.
- Spoon in and mound the sausage mixture into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over top. Place in oven and bake until golden on top, 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Fuller Food Network