The opening of the Summer Market signals the arrival of fresh strawberries from Michigan. This baked chicken is topped with a fresh and healthy strawberry Caprese topping a nice switch from traditional tomatoes. You can pick up the mozzarella from The Cheese People and shop our meat and spice vendors for the rest of the fixings.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella ball (or shredded mozzarella), roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine chicken breasts and 1/2 cup balsamic in a ziplock bag. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes or up to 5 hours. When ready to cook, place chicken in a baking dish and pour the remaining vinegar on top. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1/2 cup vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until reduced by half. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together strawberries, mozzarella and basil to make a Caprese topping.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer to serving dishes. Then top with the strawberry Caprese topping, and then drizzle with the reduced balsamic vinegar.
**For an additional option, you can add the strawberry Caprese mixture to the chicken in the baking dish once the chicken during the last 5 minutes of baking. Then the cheese will thoroughly melt and the strawberries will be warm. Either way works great!
Recipe courtesy of Gimme Some Oven