Shopping the Market for these ingredients will be a treat. If you don’t like eggplant, try portabella mushrooms. And, of course Emile from The Cheese People has the best smoked mozzarella ever. Try a flavored grapeseed oil or olive oil from Wild Tree and Tastefully Simple. And, stop by Glunz and ask Peter for his pic of wine. Enjoy..it's the last time to shop the Summer Market.
- Canola oil, for the grill
- 4 large slices country bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 12 ounces smoked mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Green salad, for serving
1. Heat grill to medium. Once it's hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate with the canola oil.
2. Brush the bread and eggplant with the olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill the bread until browned and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per side; rub with the garlic. Cut each slice in half crosswise. Grill the eggplant slices, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Place the mozzarella on top of the bread and grill, covered, just until warm and beginning to melt. Top with the eggplant, tomato, and basil. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve with the salad.
Recipe courtesy of Chris Morocco Real Simple