Summer's freshest veggies, arriving weekly, combine in a colorful side-dish salad for steaks, chops and tenderloins. Or, toss in grilled shrimp or chicken for an easy one-dish dinner. You may not have “day old” bread from the Market cause it’s so tasty, but reserve a few pieces for the salad. Our vendor Jason Scott, LLC has a variety of flavored sea salts to add another dimension to this dish. It’s all at the Market!
- 4 (1-ounce) slices day-old country-style bread
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place bread slices on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until golden brown with grill marks. Remove from grill; tear bread into 1-inch pieces.
3. Combine tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, basil, and cucumber in a large bowl. Add bread; toss gently.
4. Combine vinegar, black pepper, salt, and garlic in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light