Even eggplant avoiders, like our Market President Steve, will love this recipe. The creaminess of the goat cheese and the fresh eggplant from the Market make this a go to recipe for summer dinner. Add mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, summer squash and flavored oils and balsamic vinegars to make it your own creation. Too busy to grill? Sauté it in oil in a fry pan.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 Japanese eggplant, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch wide slices
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the olive oil over the slices of eggplant and toss to coat. Grill the eggplants until tender and grill marks appear, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place the eggplants side-by-side on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the pine nuts, goat cheese, basil, and mint. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Cook's note: Plating the eggplant salad this way allowed the cheese to stay bright white. The salt and pepper showed up on it. The herbs remained green and fluffy. The grill marks on the eggplant were distinct.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis Cooking Channel