Grilling gives lettuce charred edges that add extra flavor while keeping the inside nice and crunchy. Shop our meat vendors for seasoned bacon, the farm stand vendors for fresh picked lettuce and those flavorful vinegars and oils from The Olive Tap and Wild Tree. Top it off with cheese from The Cheese People and you have a wonderful Farmers Market Salad. Serve with crusty bread from our bakers and a crisp white wine from Glunz Family Winery & Cellars.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 pound bacon, 1/4 inch diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat a grill or indoor grill pan to high.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. Remove the onion and bacon from the pan. Add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Brush the romaine with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place on the grill cut-side down and quickly sear until grill marks are visible. Set aside.
- For each serving, place a half head of romaine cut-side up on a plate and drizzle the balsamic dressing on top. Sprinkle with blue cheese and the bacon and onion, and garnish with cracked black pepper
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri for Food Network Magazine