Visit our farm stand vendors and select from their varieties of eggplant and peppers. How do you select the freshest eggplant? The flesh of the eggplant when pressed should have no hard spots and the skin should be shiny. Ask your vendors and they will be happy to help you make your selection. Don’t forget to get the cheese, fresh and dried spices and try a lemon flavored oil to add zest to the recipe.
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh marjoram, oregano, or basil, or a combination
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Place the eggplant slices on a wire rack and sprinkle them lightly with salt on both sides. Set the rack aside until the eggplant begins to "sweat," usually 15 to 20 minutes. Blot the eggplant dry with clean paper towels.
2. Arrange the eggplant and all the bell pepper slices on a large baking sheet, and brush both sides of all the pieces with the olive oil. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Transfer the eggplant and peppers to the grill, in batches if necessary, and cook, turning them occasionally to promote even browning, until they are softened and nicely marked, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the grilled eggplant slices to a large platter, and top them with the pepper strips. Garnish with the crumbled feta and minced marjoram. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice, and serve either warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart Living