The berries at the Market are Michigan grown, sweet and fresh. Shop at Wayne Miller Michigan Fruit and Klug Orchards for their fresh picks. And, instead of traditional shortcake, shop our artisan bakers for biscuits, breads and scones. It is shortcake at its peak.
- 2 pounds berries (such as raspberries, blueberries, or sliced strawberries)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 biscuits, store-bought or made from a mix
1. In a large bowl, toss the berries and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Let sit for at least 15 minutes (and up to 4 hours, refrigerated).
2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream and the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form.
3. Split the biscuits in half. Spoon the berries and whipped cream on the bottom halves and sandwich with the tops.
By Kate Merker , Real Simple August, 2008