Not your grandmother’s canned asparagus on toasted grocery store bread. Get all these ingredients fresh from the market. Stop by The Tea Gallerie and ask Saul for his recommendation on a flavorful morning tea blend.
- 4 slices rustic country bread
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan (1 ounce)
1. Heat broiler. Place the bread and asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Broil until the bread is toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer the bread to plates. Continue broiling the asparagus, tossing once, until tender, 4 to 8 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Carefully lower the eggs into the water. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 6 minutes. Cool under running water and peel.
Divide the asparagus among the toast, sprinkle on the Parmesan, and top with the eggs.
By Sara Quessenberry, Real Simple, May, 2009