These stuffed eggplants are filled with peppers, onion, garlic, and tomatoes all fresh and available from our farm stand vendors. Serve along with olives, hummus, and warm pita from OLIVES 4 YOU and you are in for a Farmers Market feast. Ingredients:
- 2 (6-8 inches long, 10-12 ounces each) small-to-medium Italian eggplants
- 3 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil or grapesseed oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, divided
- 1 large onion
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1 .Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
2. Remove leaves from eggplants, but leave the stems on. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, through the stem. Using a small sharp knife, make a deep slit lengthwise down the flesh side of each eggplant half: start about 1 inch below the stem and stop about 1 inch from the bottom. Do not cut completely through the skin.
3. Brush the eggplant all over with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle the eggplant flesh with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place cut-side down in the prepared roasting pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, quarter and thinly slice onion. Finely chop garlic. Thinly slice 1 bell pepper quarter and set aside; dice the remaining pepper. Cut 1 tomato into 4 wedges and set aside; dice the remaining 2 tomatoes.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the diced bell pepper, the diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup parsley, sugar, bay leaves, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaves.
6. After the eggplant has baked for 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Carefully turn each eggplant half over and use 2 spoons to open and widen the slits. Stuff the slits with the vegetable mixture, pressing it down gently. Place a wedge of tomato in the middle of each half; evenly divide the reserved sliced pepper among the halves.
7 .Add 1/4 inch hot water to the roasting pan. Drizzle the eggplant with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Bake 30 minutes more.
8. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely, refrigerate, and serve cold. Garnish with the remaining 3 tablespoons parsley and lemon wedges.
Recipe Courtesy of EatingWell.com